System Center is a simple datacenter manager that allows you to stay in control of your IT assets, while enhancing and increasing agility and performance. This product has two license editions:
- Datacenter: For managing highly virtualized servers.
- Standard: For managing non-virtualized or lightly virtualized servers.
The only difference between the editions is the number of operating system environments (OSEs) that one can manage when all physical cores on the server are licensed.
How to buy Microsoft System Center?
This product can be used to manage server OSEs or client OSEs. Server management licensing helps maximize your private cloud value, while at the same time, simplifying purchases. All server management licenses (MLs) include the same components and ability to manage any workload.
System Center Server MLs are sold under a core-based licensing model. These are sold in packs of two (a 2-pack Core License) and each processor needs to be licensed with a minimum of eight cores (four 2-pack Core Licenses). Each physical server, including single-processor servers, will need to be licensed with a minimum of two processors and 16 cores (eight 2-pack Core Licenses).
On the other hand, there are three types of Client Management Licenses:
- Per user: This permits management of any OSE accessed by one user.
- Per OSE: Permits management of one OSE accessed by any user.
- Per device: One device management license (either Core or Enterprise CAL suite) permits management of any OSE on one device.
Summary of Microsoft System Center licensing:
- Core-based licensing. It is based on the number of physical cores on the servers under management, consistent with the Windows Server model.
- Consistent licensing model for server management and client management, respectively. Core-based licenses for server management. User-based or OSE–based license for client management.
- Licenses required only for endpoints being managed. No additional licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology used in System Center.
You can buy core-based or CALs System Center licenses through Venti Exchange and have access to your licenses on the same day. To learn more about this product, which option works better for your organization’s needs, or for assisted purchases, do not hesitate to contact one of our licensing experts.