In September 2022, Microsoft developed an optimization for applying pending updates for Microsoft 365 Apps, while the device is in idle or locked mode. They call it update under lock and uses click-to-run technology. .
Benefits of update under lock
This technology helps customers reach compliance without disrupting internal users (no disruptive notifications). It makes updates more reliable by saving the app state before closing, reducing the need for abrupt forced updates (we have all been there).
How does it work?
Update under log tries to shut down safely any running Office app (if it is not safe, it will not shut it down), to then apply the pending update and restore any closed apps to how they were before the update. This whole process takes approximately 4 seconds.
Who does it affect?
Windows devices only for:
- Microsoft 365 subscriptions, Visio, Project. Except for Microsoft Teams, since it has its own update.
- Retail consumer/perpetual Office 2016, 2019, and 2021.
All devices receiving updates from:
- Current Channel: Version 2109 or later.
- Monthly Enterprise Channel: Version 2112 or later
- Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel (Preview): Version 2202 or later
- Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel: Version 2202 or later
Important safety note
Apps will not shut down if it is not safe to do so. I.e., if macros are running or there are unsaved changes. If this is the case, updates will be applied normally.
Admin controls for update under lock
There are no admin controls for update under lock. This feature lives lowkey, to make our lives easier.
If you are not taking advantage of all the features and capabilities of the Microsoft 365 apps, do not hesitate to contact one of our licensing experts. They will gladly help you choose the best subscription plan for your organization’s needs.